Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Arizona

Liked it? Share it!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Arizona

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Arizona.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Arizona?

In Arizona, you will need a valid motorcycle license to operate a trike. 

You’ll have the option to test on a 3-wheel motorcycle, which limits your endorsement to ONLY trikes. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Arizona.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Arizona?

In Arizona, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Arizona driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Arizona 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to pass the skills test and written exam with the AZ MVD.

Testing on a 3-wheel motorcycle or completing a 3-wheel basic rider course will limit your license to 3-wheel motorcycles only. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Arizona motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Arizona

Arizona title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Arizona Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

You will need to at least carry minimum liability coverage to register and ride a trike in Arizona. 

The minimum requirements include:

  • $15,000 for bodily injury of a single individual. 
  • $30,000 for bodily injury per accident. 
  • $10,000 for property damage per accident.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Arizona, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *