Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in California

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in California


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in California.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in California?

In California, you can operate a trike motorcycle with a standard driver’s license. 

However, obtaining a motorcycle license is still a good idea to learn about all the necessary safety information and to develop important riding skills. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in California.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in California?

In California, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid California driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

California 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy the DMV motorcycle skills test requirements.

If you do not obtain a valid motorcycle endorsement, you are limited to 3-wheel motorcycles with your standard Class C license. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our California motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in California

California title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

California Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

Minimum liability coverage (15/30/5) is required for all 3-wheel motorcycle and autocycles in California.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in California, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *