Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Colorado

Liked it? Share it!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Colorado

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Colorado.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Colorado?

A Colorado motorcycle license is required to operate a trike. 

Note that if you complete your skills test or basic rider course on a 3-wheel motorcycle, you will be limited to riding only 3-wheel motorcycles. 

A standard motorcycle license allows you to drive both 2-wheel and 3-wheel bikes. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Colorado.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Colorado?

In Colorado, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Colorado driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Colorado 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy both the DMV skills test and written exam requirements.

If you test on a trike, your endorsement will be limited to 3-wheel motorcycles. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Colorado motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Colorado

Colorado title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Colorado Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

Motorcycle insurance is required to register and ride a trike in Colorado. 

The required amount of liability coverage is 25/50/15.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Colorado, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *