Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Delaware

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Delaware

ATTENTION: Are you getting your motorcycle endorsement? Make sure you satisfy your state's insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.

Please enter your zip to get started:

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Delaware.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Delaware?

Yes, you will need a valid motorcycle license to ride a trike in Delaware. 

2-wheel motorcycle licenses allow you to operate a 3-wheel motorcycle. 

If you test on a trike, your license will be limited to trikes only. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Delaware.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Delaware?

In Delaware, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Delaware driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Delaware 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will waive the DMV requirements for the skills test and written exam.

A 3-wheel rider course or a skills test taken on a trike will restrict your license to 3-wheel motorcycles only. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Delaware motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Delaware

Delaware title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Delaware Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

Delaware requires minimum liability coverage for 3-wheel motorcycle and autocycles (25/25/10).

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Delaware, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Need cheaper insurance? ➜