Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Hawaii

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Hawaii


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Hawaii.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Hawaii?

A motorcycle license is required to operate a trike in Hawaii. 

A standard 2-wheel motorcycle endorsement allows you to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle too. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Hawaii.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Hawaii?

In Hawaii, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Hawaii driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Hawaii 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to take the Hawaii DMV motorcycle skill test. 

You will still need to pass the DMV motorcycle written exam.

Note that completing a 3-wheel rider course or testing on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit you to ONLY operating 3-wheel bikes. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Hawaii motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Hawaii

Hawaii title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Hawaii Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

An active motorcycle insurance policy is required for 3-wheel motorcycles and autocycles in Hawaii. 

The minimum liability limits are 20/40/10.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Hawaii, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *