Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Iowa

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Iowa


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Iowa.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Iowa?

Yes, you’ll need a motorcycle license to operate a 3-wheel motorcycle in Iowa. 

A 2-wheel motorcycle license allows you to ride trikes as well. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Iowa.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Iowa?

In Iowa, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Iowa driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Iowa 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to take an additional skills test. You will still need to pass the motorcycle written exam.

Testing on a trike will limit your motorcycle license to 3-wheel motorcycles ONLY. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Iowa motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Iowa

Iowa title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Iowa Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

You must have minimum liability motorcycle coverage (20/40/15) for your 3-wheel motorcycle in Iowa.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Iowa, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *