3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Kansas

ATTENTION: Taking care of a task for your motorcycle? You should be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements.

Please enter your zip code below to get started.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Kansas.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Kansas?

A motorcycle license is required to ride a trike in Kansas. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Kansas.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Kansas?

In Kansas, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Kansas driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Kansas 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy your requirements for the skills test and written exam.

Note that testing or completing a course on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit your license to trikes only. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Kansas motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Kansas

Kansas title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Kansas Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

A motorcycle insurance policy is required to ride and register your trike in Kansas.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Kansas, please contact the DMV or visit their official website.