Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Massachusetts

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Massachusetts


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Massachusetts.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Massachusetts?

A motorcycle license is required to ride a trike in MA. 

If you already hold a standard, 2-wheel motorcycle endorsement, you can also ride a 3-wheel motorcycle. 

Completing the licensing requirements on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit you to 3-wheel motorcycles only. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Massachusetts.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Massachusetts?

In Massachusetts, a motorcycle license is also required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot.

Massachusetts 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to take the MVA skills test.

Testing on a 3-wheel motorcycle or completing a 3-wheel motorcycle training course will limit your license to trikes ONLY.

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Massachusetts motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Massachusetts

Massachusetts title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Massachusetts Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

A motorcycle insurance policy with minimum liability coverage (20/40/5) is required for all trikes and autocycles in MA.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Massachusetts, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *