- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?
Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Michigan.
Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Michigan?
Yes, in Michigan you will need a valid motorcycle license to operate a trike.
For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Michigan.
Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Michigan?
In Michigan, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Michigan driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.
Michigan 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test
In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:
- Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam.
- Pass a motorcycle skills test.
If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to take the Michigan SOS motorcycle skills test or written exam.
Testing or training on a trike will limit your license to 3-wheel motorcycles only.
Prepare for your DMV tests with our Michigan motorcycle permit practice test.
Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF.
How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Michigan
Michigan title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles.
In general, you’ll need the following items and information:
- Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
- An application for registration and title.
- Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections.
- Proof of insurance coverage.
- Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes.
For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:
- Michigan Motorcycle Registration & Title Overview
- Michigan Motorcycle Registration & Registration Renewals
- Michigan Motorcycle Title Transfers
Michigan Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles
Motorcycle insurance is required for trikes and autocycles in Michigan.
The minimum liability limits you’ll need to carry are 20/40/10.
The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage.
Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here.
Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool.
Learn more about trike insurance.
Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Michigan, please contact the DMV or visit their official website.