Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Minnesota

Liked it? Share it!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Minnesota

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Minnesota.

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Minnesota?

You must have a motorcycle endorsement to ride a trike in Minnesota. 

A standard 2-wheel endorsement will also allow you to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle. 

Minnesota also offers a 3-wheel ONLY motorcycle license. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Minnesota.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Minnesota?

In Minnesota, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Minnesota driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Minnesota 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved 2-wheel motorcycle training course, you will not be required to take the DPS motorcycle skills test. You will still need to pass the written exam.

Completing your licensing requirements with a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit your endorsement to ONLY trikes and you will still need to take the skills test on your trike. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Minnesota motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Minnesota

Minnesota title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Minnesota Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

You’ll need a motorcycle insurance policy if you want to register and ride your trike or autocycle in Minnesota. 

Minimum liability coverage is 30/60/10.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Minnesota, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *