Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Missouri

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Missouri

Getting your motorcycle license? Make sure you have insurance in place for when you hit the road. Answer the questions below to compare custom quotes.

⚠️ ATTENTION: Ready to get your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.

Please answer the questions below to get started:

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Missouri.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Missouri?

Yes, you will need to have a motorcycle license in order to ride trikes in Missouri. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Missouri.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Missouri?

In Missouri, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Missouri driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Missouri 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not be required to take the skills test and written exam.

Completing the requirements and tests on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit you to only being able to ride trikes. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Missouri motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Missouri

Missouri title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Missouri Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

Motorcycle insurance is required for trikes and autocycles registered and ridden in Missouri. 

Minimiam liability limits are $25K bodily injury for a single person/$50K bodily injury per accident/$10K property damage per accident.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Missouri, please contact the DMV or visit their official website.