Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Oregon

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Oregon


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Oregon.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Oregon?

Yes, you will need to hold a motorcycle license or a 3-wheel restricted endorsement to ride a trike in Oregon. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Oregon.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Oregon?

In Oregon, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Oregon driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Oregon 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy the DMV testing requirements.

Testing on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit your license to trikes only.

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Oregon motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Oregon

Oregon title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Oregon Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

In Oregon, you will need a valid motorcycle insurance policy to register and ride your trike or autocycle. 

Minimum liability limits are 25/50/20.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Oregon, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *