Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Pennsylvania

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Pennsylvania

Getting your motorcycle license? Make sure you have insurance in place for when you hit the road. Answer the questions below to compare custom quotes.

⚠️ ATTENTION: Ready to get your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.

Please answer the questions below to get started:

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Pennsylvania.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Pennsylvania?

Yes, you will need a motorcycle license to ride a trike in Pennsylvania. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Pennsylvania.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Pennsylvania?

In Pennsylvania, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Pennsylvania driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Pennsylvania 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will waive your PennDOT skills test.

Testing on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit your license to trikes only. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Pennsylvania motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Pennsylvania Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

You will need a motorcycle insurance policy for your trike or autocycle that meets PA’s minimum liability requirements of 15/30/50.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Pennsylvania, please contact the DMV or visit their official website.