3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Rhode Island

ATTENTION: Taking care of a task for your motorcycle? You should be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements.

Please enter your zip code below to get started.

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Rhode Island.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Rhode Island?

A valid motorcycle license is required for riding trikes in Rhode Island. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Rhode Island.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Rhode Island?

In Rhode Island, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Rhode Island driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Rhode Island 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy the RI DMV testing requirements. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Rhode Island motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Rhode Island

Rhode Island title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Rhode Island Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

Minimum liability coverage of 25/50/25 and a current motorcycle policy is required to register and ride trikes and autocycles in Rhode Island.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Rhode Island, please contact the DMV or visit their official website.