Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in South Carolina

Liked it? Share it!

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in South Carolina

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in South Carolina.

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in South Carolina?

No, you can ride a trike in South Carolina with your standard driver’s license. 

However, it may be a good idea to get your motorcycle endorsement as well. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in South Carolina.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in South Carolina?

In South Carolina, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid South Carolina driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

South Carolina 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

A standard driver’s license is sufficient for riding a trike. However, a motorcycle license is a smart thing to get in order for you to be as safe a rider as possible.

In order to get a motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will not need to take the DMV skills test. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our South Carolina motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in South Carolina

South Carolina title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

South Carolina Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

In South Carolina, you will need to have a valid motorcycle insurance policy for your trike or autocycle in order to register and ride it on public streets. 

The minimum liability limits are $25,000 per person bodily injury coverage, $50,000 per accident bodily injury coverage, and $25,000 property damage per accident.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in South Carolina, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *