Home » 3 Wheel Motorcycles: License, Registration, Insurance, and More » 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Washington

3 Wheel Motorcycle License, Registration, and Insurance in Washington

ATTENTION: Are you getting your motorcycle endorsement? Make sure you satisfy your state's insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.

Please enter your zip to get started:

Ready to get on the road with your trike or autocycle?

Keep reading for an overview of the licensing, registration, and insurance requirements for 3-wheel motorcycles in Washington.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for a Trike in Washington?

Yes, you are required to have a valid motorcycle license to ride a trike in Washington state. 

For more information, please check out our guide on how to get a motorcycle license in Washington.

Do you Need a Motorcycle License for an Autocycle in Washington?

In Washington, a motorcycle license is not required to operate an autocycle like a Slingshot. A valid Washington driver’s license is all you need to legally drive one.

Washington 3 Wheel Motorcycle License Test

In order to get a trike motorcycle license, you’ll need to:

  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test. 

If you complete an approved motorcycle training course, you will satisfy the Washington DOL motorcycle testing requirements.

Completing a 3-wheel basic rider training course or taking the skills test on a 3-wheel motorcycle will limit you to only riding trikes. 

Prepare for your DMV tests with our Washington motorcycle permit practice test

Be sure to refer to your state’s motorcycle operator handbook and the 3-wheel motorcycle supplement from MSF. 

How to Register a Trike or Autocycle in Washington

Washington title and registration for 3-wheel motorcycles, trikes, and autocycles is a similar process to that of 2-wheel motorcycles. 

In general, you’ll need the following items and information:

  • Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, previous registration documents, Bill of Sale).
  • An application for registration and title. 
  • Proof of completion of any necessary safety inspections. 
  • Proof of insurance coverage. 
  • Payment for your license plates, registration fees, and taxes. 

For more details on registering and titling your trike or autocycle, please refer to our guides on the following topics:

Washington Insurance Requirements for 3-Wheel Motorcycles and Autocycles

You’ll need a valid motorcycle insurance policy for your autocycle or trike in Washington.

The right insurance coverage is a good idea to protect yourself, your financial health, and your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. 

Get more details in our guide to motorcycle insurance here. 

Need a quote? Find the right autocycle or trike insurance policy with our free quote tool

Learn more about trike insurance.

Note that state laws and regulations are subject to change, for any questions or further details about 3-wheel motorcycles in Washington, please contact the DMV or visit their official website. 

Need cheaper insurance? ➜