You must be at least 14 years old to qualify for a motor-driven cycle license.
The minimum age for a standard motorcycle license (M Endorsement) is 16 years old.
To get a motorcycle (M) endorsement, you must either pass the DPS’ motorcycle knowledge exam or complete a motorcycle safety course.
When you’re ready, visit a local Alabama DPS office and provide:
- Identification, residency, and citizenship documents.
- Proof of school enrollment, if applicable.
- A completed application form.
- Proof that you’ve passed a motorcycle safety course OR pass the motorcycle knowledge exam.
- Payment for the testing and application fees.
Visit https://www.alea.gov/dps/driver-license to get started on your Alabama motorcycle application process, make appointments, and find approved motorcycle safety course locations.
Transfer a Motorcycle License When Moving to Alabama
If you’ve recently moved to Alabama, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle endorsement to an Alabama motorcycle license. You’ll need to visit a
Department of Public Safety(DPS) office and bring:
Your current, out-of-state driver’s license.
The proper identification, residency, and citizenship documents.
Payment for the transfer and application fees.
Age Requirements for an Alabama Motorcycle License
14 years old: motor-driven cycle license.
16 years old: Class M motorcycle license.
A motor-driven cycle is defined as having:
- A motor that produces no more than 5 HP.
- An engine size of no more than 150 CC.
- A weight of less than 200 lbs.
A motorcycle is defined as:
- A motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider.
- Designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, excluding a tractor.
Motorcyclists aged 14 and 15 years old can receive a Class M license with a “B” restriction.
A B restriction allows you to only ride a motor-driven cycle. When you are at least 16 years old, you can take the exams for an unrestricted Class M motorcycle license.
If you’re at least 16 years old and have met the requirements and passed the necessary tests or taken a motorcycle safety course, you’ll be issued an unrestricted Class M driver’s license.
An unrestricted Class M license in Alabama allows you to operate a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle.
When you’ve got your license, come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to find out how to register and title a motorcycle in Alabama.