How to Get a California Motorcycle License


Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

✔Compare quotes fast and save money!

Best providers in your area.

To apply for a California motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement, you’ll need to visit the DMV and:

Visit for official application information and to schedule appointments.

California Motorcycle License Classes: M1 vs M2

  • Class M1: You are able to operate any type of motorcycle, motorized scooter, or moped.
  • Class M2: You may only operate a moped, motorized bicycle, or motorized scooter.

How to Get a California Motorcycle Permit

If you’ve never been licensed before, you’ll need to obtain a motorcycle learner’s permit and satisfy the California graduated driver’s licensing requirements depending on your age.

Applicants under 21 years old must hold a motorcycle instruction permit for at least 6 months and complete a CHP motorcycle safety program before receiving a standard motorcycle license.

To apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit you must be at least 15 1/2 years old.

With a motorcycle instruction permit you cannot:

  • Ride at night.
  • Drive on the freeway.
  • Carry passengers.

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to California

If you’ve recently moved to California you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle endorsement:

  • Visit the DMV office.
  • Fill out an application.
  • Provide your out-of-state license and proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • Pass the California motorcycle written exam.
  • Pay the required fees.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to to learn how to register and title your bike in California.


Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!

✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *