Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your CA motorcycle learner’ s permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
The written test is required in order to get your Class M1 or M2 driver’s license in California.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the California motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/motorcycle-handbook/
Once you’re ready, check out our other pages to learn how to get the different classes of motorcycle licenses:
The basic steps to getting a full license are as follows:
- Complete an application and submit proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a motorcycle laws test, or written exam.
- Pass a motorcycle skills test or complete a motorcycle safety course.
California Motorcycle Practice Test Questions
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the California motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. When passing a row of parked cars on your motorcycle, you should:
- Stay towards the left or center of the lane.
- Stay towards the center or right of the lane.
- Always stay towards the left of the lane.
- Always stay towards the right of the lane.
2. When riding a 3-wheeled motorcycle with a group, you should travel in a _________ formation.
3. When carrying a load on a motorcycle, the load should be:
- Secured low.
- Secured high.
- Secured to one side or the other.
- On the tank.
California Motorcycle Permit Test Requirements
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your California motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
Passing the written knowledge test will allow you to get your California motorcycle learner permit.
How many questions are on the motorcycle permit test in California?
In California, the motorcycle permit test consists of 30 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
If you complete a Basic Rider Course, you’ll still need to pass the CA DMV motorcycle written test.
California Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing an approved motorcycle training course means that you do not need to take the motorcycle skills test through the CA DMV.
Upon successful completion of the course, your instructor will provide you with a Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training. You’ll need to bring this with you when you visit your local DMV office to waive the skills test and receive your full motorcycle license.
California Motorcyclists Safety Program
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a California motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
Answer Key: California Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. When passing a row of parked cars on your motorcycle, you should: A. Stay towards the left or center of the lane.
2. When riding a 3-wheeled motorcycle with a group, you should travel in a _________ formation. C. Single-file.
3. When carrying a load on a motorcycle, the load should be: A. Secured low.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.