Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score
- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Are you preparing to get your HI motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Hawaii motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/files/2016/05/3-21-16-Dft-Rider-Manual.pdf
Sample Questions for the HI Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Hawaii motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. Riding in the left or right portion of the lane when following behind another vehicle:
- Will put you in the sideview mirror of the driver ahead of you, and will be your best chance of being seen.
- Will put you in the rearview mirror of the driver ahead of you, and will be your best chance of being seen.
- Will put you in the sideview mirror of the driver ahead of you, but they may not see you.
- Will put you in the rearview mirror of the driver ahead of you, but they may not see you.
2. The greatest risk of an accident between a motorcycle and a car occurs at:
- Two-lane highways.
- Parking lots.
- Freeway entrances.
3. As weight transfers to the front of your motorcycle as you are braking, you can:
- Decrease front braking.
- Increase front braking.
- Increase rear braking.
- Use the throttle.
Basic Rider Courses in Hawaii
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a Hawaii motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Hawaii
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Hawaii motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Hawaii, the motorcycle permit test consists of 25 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
You’ll still need to take the HI DMV written test if you complete a rider education course.
Hawaii Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing an approved training course will satisfy your motorcycle skills test requirement.
Answer Key: Hawaii Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. Riding in the left or right portion of the lane when following behind another vehicle: C. Will put you in the sideview mirror of the driver ahead of you, but they may not see you.
2. The greatest risk of an accident between a motorcycle and a car occurs at: D. Intersections.
3. As weight transfers to the front of your motorcycle as you are braking, you can: B. Increase front braking.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.