Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your IL motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Illinois motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_x140.pdf
Sample Questions for theIL Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Illinois motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. You should be sure to check your motorcycle’s mirrors:
- As part of your normal scanning routine.
- Before slowing down or stopping.
- Before changing lanes.
- All of these.
2. What is the best lane position for a motorcycle?
- The left portion of the lane.
- The center portion of the lane.
- The right portion of the lane.
- It depends on the current circumstances.
3. If a dog starts chasing you on your motorcycle, what should you do?
- Kick at the dog.
- Speed up as you approach and then slow down when you get near it.
- Slow down as you approach and accelerate away to upset its timing.
- Slam on your brakes.
Basic Rider Courses in Illinois
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get an Illinois motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Illinois
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Illinois motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Illinois, the motorcycle permit test consists of 15 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
Completing a motorcycle safety course will waive your IL SOS motorcycle written test.
Illinois Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing an approved rider course will satisfy the IL SOS motorcycle skills test requirements.
Answer Key: Illinois Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. You should be sure to check your motorcycle’s mirrors: D. All of these.
2. What is the best lane position for a motorcycle? D. It depends on the current circumstances.
3. If a dog starts chasing you on your motorcycle, what should you do? C. Slow down as you approach and accelerate away when you get near it to upset its timing.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.