Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your KY motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Kentucky motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://kentuckystatepolice.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/motorcycle_rev_03_13_12_op.pdf
Sample Questions for the KY Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Kentucky motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. To be seen in the rearview mirror of the car in front of you, you should ride in the:
- Left portion of the lane.
- Center portion of the lane.
- Right portion of the lane.
- Any lane position.
2. How should you handle a tailgater on your motorcycle?
- Brake check them.
- Speed up.
- Allow them to pass.
- Immediately change lanes.
3. What should you do when riding over a bridge grating or rain groove?
- Speed up as you reach the groove or grating.
- Zig-zag to maintain your balance.
- Cross the grating or grooves at an angle.
- Maintain a steady speed, and ride straight across the surface.
Basic Rider Courses in Kentucky
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a Kentucky motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Kentucky
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Kentucky motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Kentucky, the motorcycle permit test consists of 30 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
You will still need to take the KY TC motorcycle written test if you complete a rider training course.
Kentucky Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
The rider training course does not satisfy the motorcycle skills test in Kentucky.
Answer Key: Kentucky Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. To be seen in the rearview mirror of the car in front of you, you should ride in the: B. Center portion of the lane.
2. How should you handle a tailgater on your motorcycle? C. Allow them to pass.
3. What should you do when riding over a bridge grating or rain groove? D. Maintain a steady speed, and ride straight across the surface.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.