Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your MI motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Michigan motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/moopman_16311_7.pdf
Sample Questions for the MI Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Michigan motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. Your options for carrying cargo when on a motorcycle include all of the following, EXCEPT:
- Hard luggage systems that attach permanently.
- In one of your arms.
- Soft bags tied to the seat or tank.
2. When riding in a group, what does it mean when the lead rider extends their left arm with the palm facing up and swings it upwards?
- Pass me.
- Slow down.
- Speed up.
- Double file formation.
3. What should you do if you get a flat tire while riding your motorcycle?
- Immediately turn to get off the roadway.
- Open up the throttle to get more air in the tire.
- Jam on the brakes to stop immediately.
- Hold the hand grips firmly, ease off the throttle, and keep a straight course.
Basic Rider Courses in Michigan
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a Michigan motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Michigan
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Michigan motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Michigan, the motorcycle permit test consists of 20 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
If you complete an approved rider training course, you will not need to take the SOS motorcycle permit test.
Michigan Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing a motorcycle training course will waive the Michigan SOS skills test requirements.
Answer Key: Michigan Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. Your options for carrying cargo when on a motorcycle include all of the following, EXCEPT: B. In one of your arms.
2. When riding in a group, what does it mean when the lead rider extends their left arm with the palm facing up and swings it upwards? C. Speed up.
3. What should you do if you get a flat tire while riding your motorcycle? D. Hold the hand grips firmly, ease off the throttle, and keep a straight course.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.