Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your MT motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Montana motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://dojmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/25-1500.pdf
Sample Questions for the MT Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Montana motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. When riding through a curve, a motorcycle group should:
- Maintain a staggered formation.
- Take the curve in a single-file formation.
- Take the curve in a double-file formation.
- Stop and pull over before each rider takes the curve.
2. If there are only hazards on your left, where should you ride?
- In the left portion of the lane.
- In the center portion of the lane.
- In the center or right portion of the lane.
- In the right portion of the lane.
3. A passenger on a motorcycle should mount:
- After you’re on the bike and have started the engine.
- Before you get on the bike.
- After you’re on the bike, but have not started the engine.
- Once you’ve shifted into first gear.
Basic Rider Courses in Montana
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a Montana motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Montana
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Montana motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Montana, the motorcycle permit test consists of 25 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
If you complete a rider education course, you will still need to pass the MT DOJ motorcycle written test.
Montana Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing a rider training course will satisfy the motorcycle skills test requirement.
Answer Key: Montana Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. When riding through a curve, a motorcycle group should: B. Take the curve in a single-file formation.
2. If there are only hazards on your left, where should you ride? C. In the center or right portion of the lane.
3. A passenger on a motorcycle should mount: A. After you’re on the bike and have started the engine.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.