Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your NY motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the New York motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/mv21-mc.pdf
Sample Questions for the NY Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the New York motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. When riding with a passenger on your motorcycle, you should adjust your mirrors:
- When you are both seated on the bike.
- Before the passenger gets on.
- When no one is on the bike.
- When you get to your first intersection.
2. Keeping an adequate space cushion around your motorcycle allows for all of the following, EXCEPT:
- Escape routes.
- The ability to see and be seen.
- Enough space to stop.
- The ability to avoid constantly scanning for hazards.
3. When riding a motorcycle at night, you should:
- Ride faster than during the day.
- Ride slower than during the day.
- Decrease your following distance.
- Wear darker colored clothing.
Basic Rider Courses in New York
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a New York motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in New York
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your New York motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In New York, the motorcycle permit test consists of 20 questions.
You’ll need a score of 70% to pass.
If you take a rider’s training course, you will still need to pass the NY DMV motorcycle written exam.
New York Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing an approved motorcycle training course will satisfy the NY DMV motorcycle skills testing requirements.
Answer Key: New York Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. When riding with a passenger on your motorcycle, you should adjust your mirrors: A. When you are both seated on the bike.
2. Keeping an adequate space cushion around your motorcycle allows for all of the following, EXCEPT: D. The ability to avoid constantly scanning for hazards.
3. When riding a motorcycle at night, you should: B. Ride slower than during the day.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.