Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your NC motorcycle learner permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the North Carolina motorcyclists’ handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id/driver-licenses/new-drivers/Documents/motorcyclist-handbook.pdf
Note, in order to qualify for a North Carolina motorcycle endorsement, you’ll need to already have a valid driver license.
Sample Questions for the NC Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the North Carolina motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. Which of the following is true about three-wheeled motorcycles?
- They operate just like a passenger car.
- You never need a motorcycle license to operate one.
- They handle curves differently than two-wheel motorcycles.
- Protective clothing and helmets are not necessary.
2. When riding in a group and you need to pass a slower vehicle, it is recommended to:
- Pass in a double-file formation.
- Pass one at a time.
- Pass in a staggered formation.
- Use the shoulder to pass.
3. Reflective, bright-colored protective gear and helmets:
- Should only be worn at night.
- Can increase your chances of being seen by other drivers.
- Can increase your chances of a collision.
- Are distracting to other drivers.
Basic Rider Courses in North Carolina
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a North Carolina motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning safe riding practices and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle skills tests, completing an approved Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in North Carolina
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your North Carolina motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
How many questions are on the NC motorcycle permit test?
The North Carolina motorcycle knowledge test consists of 37 questions.
You’ll need a score of 78% to pass.
If you complete an approved rider training course, you will not need to take the NC DMV motorcycle written exam.
You can prepare for your test by studying the official handbook and taking our free North Carolina motorcycle permit practice test above.
North Carolina Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing rider education will waive the NC DMV motorcycle skills test.
Answer Key: North Carolina Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. Which of the following is true about three-wheeled motorcycles? C. They handle curves differently than two-wheel motorcycles.
2. When riding in a group and you need to pass a slower vehicle, it is recommended to: B. Pass one at a time.
3. Reflective, bright-colored protective gear and helmets: B. Can increase your chances of being seen by other drivers.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.