- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Use this motorcycle practice test question to prepare for the real written exam at the DMV or during your motorcycle safety course.
Since motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds are not easy to see, it is the rider’s responsibility to:
- Allow other vehicles to share the same lane with them.
- Always allow other vehicles to have the right of way.
- Not ride in heavy traffic.
- Constantly scan for hazards and increase their visibility.
Find the answer to this question and an explanation below.
This topic may show up on your motorcycle permit test.
The answer is: D. Constantly scan for hazards and increase their visibility.
How’d you do? Learn more about this motorcycle topic below.
Explanation: Rider Responsibilities
In order to pass your motorcycle permit exams and to become a safe rider, it’s important to know why a particular answer on the motorcycle written test is correct.
Since motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds are smaller than most other vehicles on the road, they are more difficult to see.
Additionally, many other drivers are not actively looking for motorcycles when they scan the roads themselves.
That’s why it is the rider’s responsibility to constantly scan the road around them for hazards and do what is possible to increase their chances of being seen.
First, you can pretend you are invisible to other drivers. This practice can help you become more aware and better able to predict hazards before they become a danger to you.
You should be constantly scanning the road ahead, around, and behind you for potential risks.
Keep an eye out for distracted drivers, cars turning, cars entering from a side street, vehicles changing lanes, etc.
Additionally, you can make yourself more visible by:
- Using your headlight at all times.
- Choosing protective gear that is bright and reflective.
- Always using your turn signals or hand signals before making a move.
- Flashing your brake light when you plan to stop or slow down.
You can find more information about this topic in the motorcycle rider’s handbook.
Check out more motorcycle permit test questions and answers here.
Find in-depth articles for new riders in our section dedicated to learning how to ride a motorcycle.
Plus, check out an overview of the requirements to get a motorcycle endorsement in each state.