Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your SD motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the South Dakota motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://dps.sd.gov/application/files/3115/0161/2426/Motorcycle-Operator-Manual-July.2015.pdf
Sample Questions for the SD Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the South Dakota motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. When riding in a staggered formation and passing another vehicle on the left, where should the lead rider go after they pass?
- The center position in the original lane.
- The right position in the original lane.
- The left position in the original lane.
- Whichever lane position they want.
2. When should you adjust your motorcycle’s mirrors?
- When you are at an intersection.
- When you are riding in traffic.
- When you are riding at a low speed.
- Before starting the motorcycle during your pre-ride inspection.
3. Quickly grabbing or jamming down on the brake levers:
- Can cause the wheels to lock and skid.
- Is the proper way to use the brakes in all circumstances.
- Should only be done when doing a quick stop.
- Should be done on both brakes simultaneously.
Basic Rider Courses in South Dakota
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a South Dakota motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in South Dakota
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your South Dakota motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In South Dakota, the motorcycle permit test consists of 25 questions.
You’ll need a score of 76% to pass.
Successful completion of a rider training course will satisfy the SD DPS motorcycle knowledge exam requirements.
South Dakota Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing a course will waive the DPS motorcycle skills test.
Answer Key: South Dakota Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. When riding in a staggered formation and passing another vehicle on the left, where should the lead rider go after they pass? C. The left position in the original lane.
2. When should you adjust your motorcycle’s mirrors? D. Before starting the motorcycle during your pre-ride inspection.
3. Quickly grabbing or jamming down on the brake levers: A. Can cause the wheels to lock and skid.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.