Getting your motorcycle license? Make sure you have insurance in place for when you hit the road. Answer the questions below to compare custom quotes.
⚠️ ATTENTION: Ready to get your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
Use this motorcycle practice test question to prepare for the real written exam at the DMV or during your motorcycle safety course.
To swerve or turn quickly on a motorcycle:
- Pull the handgrips in the direction you intend to go.
- Press the handgrips in the opposite direction as you intend to go.
- Press the handgrips in the direction you intend to go.
- You must be in first gear.
Find the answer to this question and an explanation below.
This topic may show up on your motorcycle permit test.
The answer is: C. Press the handgrips in the direction you intend to go.
How’d you do? Learn more about this motorcycle topic below.
Explanation: Swerving on a Motorcycle
In order to pass your motorcycle permit exams and to become a safe rider, it’s important to know why a particular answer on the motorcycle written test is correct.
Sometimes, you will not have enough room to stop to avoid a hazard.
In these situations, your best option to avoid a collision is to turn quickly or swerve around the hazard.
A quick change of direction can get you out of harm’s way and back on your route quickly.
To swerve on a motorcycle, you should:
- Apply pressure to the handgrips in the direction you want to go.
- Keep your body upright, allowing the motorcycle to move in the direction it needs to.
- Keep your feet planted on the footrests with your knees against the tank.
- After you clear the hazard, press in the opposite direction to return to your original path.
If the circumstances require you to brake and swerve, you should separate the two actions.
If you need to brake, do so before or after the swerve. Braking during a swerve can cause you to be thrown from the bike.
You can find more information about this topic in the motorcycle rider’s handbook.
Check out more motorcycle permit test questions and answers here.
Find in-depth articles for new riders in our section dedicated to learning how to ride a motorcycle.
Plus, check out an overview of the requirements to get a motorcycle endorsement in each state.