Free Motorcycle Permit Practice Test
- Choose the best answer and receive instant feedback.
- Click next to continue.
- Overall score at the end of the test.
- Random questions each attempt.
Each test contains questions based on information in the motorcycle manual.
Good luck - MotorcycleZombies.com!
Practice Test Results
|Your Total Score|
Are you preparing to get your VA motorcycle permit, license, or endorsement?
This page will provide you with some free practice test questions to help you study.
We’ll also provide you with an overview of what to expect for the test, as well as your options for taking it.
Remember, be sure to read and review the Virginia motorcycle handbook to make sure you know everything you need to know. You can find a PDF link to the official rider handbook here: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv2.pdf
Sample Questions for the VA Motorcycle Test
Each sample question is based on information you may find on the Virginia motorcycle permit test. Choose the best answer. Go to the bottom of the page to find the answer key.
1. Where is the gear shift lever located on most motorcycles?
- In front of the right footrest.
- In front of the left footrest.
- Near the right handgrip.
- Near the left handgrip.
2. If your motorcycle’s chain breaks while riding:
- The rear wheel will immediately lock up.
- The rear wheel will immediately lose power.
- The front wheel will lock up.
- The rear brake will not work.
3. What can happen if a motorcyclist takes a turn too fast?
- They can end up crossing into another lane.
- They can run off the pavement.
- They can lose control of the bike.
- All of these.
Basic Rider Courses in Virginia
Taking a motorcycle safety course is one of the best ways to prepare yourself to get a Virginia motorcycle endorsement and become a safe rider.
These courses are designed for any new motorcyclists, even if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before.
The course consists of a classroom portion and on-bike training.
Continue reading to find out whether or not you’ll be able to skip the DMV motorcycle tests by completing a basic rider course.
Learn more about the details for motorcycle rider education and training here.
In addition to learning how to be a safe rider and having the opportunity to waive your DMV motorcycle tests, completing an approved Basic Rider Course may also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance policy.
About the Motorcycle Permit Test in Virginia
Passing the written exam, or motorcycle knowledge test, is one of the major steps towards getting your Virginia motorcycle license.
The test is designed to check your knowledge on a number of topics related to operating a motorcycle safely.
In Virginia, the motorcycle permit test consists of 25 questions.
You’ll need a score of 80% to pass.
Rider’s education will waive the VA DMV motorcycle written exam.
Virginia Motorcycle Skills Test
After completing the permit test and satisfying any motorcycle permit requirements, you’ll also need to pass a skills test.
The motorcycle skills test will evaluate your ability to control your motorcycle and complete a number of key maneuvers.
The examiner will be looking to see that you can demonstrate basic motorcycle control skills, the ability to avoid obstacles, and the ability to properly navigate a curve.
Other techniques that you can expect to be tested on include:
- Weaving through cones.
- Figure 8s in a box.
- Normal stops.
- Quick stops.
- Turning from a stop.
If you complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll have the opportunity to learn the techniques and practice all of the necessary skills.
Completing a rider training course will satisfy the motorcycle skills test requirements.
Answer Key: Virginia Motorcycle Test Sample Questions
Refer to the answer key below to see which questions you answered correctly and which topics you’ll need to study some more.
Follow the questions’ links for an explanation on the correct answers.
1. Where is the gear shift lever located on most motorcycles? B. In front of the left footrest.
2. If your motorcycle’s chain breaks while riding: B. The rear wheel will immediately lose power.
3. What can happen if a motorcyclist takes a turn too fast? D. All of these.
Need more practice? Check out our large list of motorcycle permit test questions and answers, and explanations.