⚠️ ATTENTION: Getting your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
Use this motorcycle practice test question to prepare for the real written exam at the DMV or during your motorcycle safety course.
When riding with a passenger on your motorcycle, you should instruct them to do all of the following, EXCEPT:
- Keep a large space between themselves and you when seated.
- Hold on firmly to your waist, belt, or passenger handholds.
- Stay directly behind you and lean with you through curves.
- Get on the motorcycle after you and after you start the engine.
Find the answer to this question and an explanation below.
This topic may show up on your motorcycle permit test.
The answer is: A. Keep a large space between themselves and you when seated.
How’d you do? Learn more about this motorcycle topic below.
Explanation: Motorcycle Passengers
In order to pass your motorcycle permit exams and to become a safe rider, it’s important to know why a particular answer on the motorcycle written test is correct.
Riding a motorcycle with a passenger safely comes down to preparation and communication.
It is important to instruct your passenger how to ride safely before you get on your way.
First, you should make sure that your passenger is wearing the appropriate riding gear and is tall enough to reach the passenger footrests.
Before you start to ride, you should instruct your passengers to:
- Get on the motorcycle after you and after you start the bike.
- Sit as far forward as possible without crowding you or hindering your control of the bike.
- Hold on firmly.
- Keep their feet on the footrests at all times.
- Keep their arms and legs away from hot parts and moving parts.
- Stay behind you and lean with you.
Remember, your motorcycle will handle a little differently with the extra weight of a passenger.
Be sure that your tire pressure, suspension, and headlight are all properly adjusted before you start to ride.
If you’ve never ridden with a passenger before, it is a good idea to practice moving in a safe, empty lot before you start riding with them in traffic.
You can find more information about this topic in the motorcycle rider’s handbook.
Check out more motorcycle permit test questions and answers here.
Find in-depth articles for new riders in our section dedicated to learning how to ride a motorcycle.
Plus, check out an overview of the requirements to get a motorcycle endorsement in each state.