- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Use this motorcycle practice test question to prepare for the real written exam at the DMV or during your motorcycle safety course.
If you are being passed, you should:
- Ride in the right portion of your lane.
- Ride in the left portion of your lane.
- Ride in the center portion of your lane.
- Pull over to the shoulder of the road.
Find the answer to this question and an explanation below.
This topic may show up on your motorcycle permit test.
The answer is: C. Ride in the center portion of your lane.
How’d you do? Learn more about this motorcycle topic below.
Explanation: Being Passed on a Motorcycle
In order to pass your motorcycle permit exams and to become a safe rider, it’s important to know why a particular answer on the motorcycle written test is correct.
When you are being passed by another vehicle while riding your motorcycle, it is important that you maintain a safe space cushion around yourself.
The best way to reduce the risk of a collision while being passed is to ride in the center portion of your lane.
This position will give you enough space away from the passing vehicle, while still remaining visible enough to avoid having the other car crowd you in your own lane.
Riding too close to the passing vehicle can create a dangerous situation. Riding too far away from it may make it harder for the other driver to see you.
Be cautious when being passed, and keep an eye out for:
- Drivers cutting back into your lane too soon.
- Extended mirrors, fenders, or other extensions of the passing vehicle that could hit you.
- Objects flying from the window of the vehicle from the bed of a truck.
- Sudden gusts of wind coming off of passing vehicles.
You can stay safe by giving yourself enough room, staying visible, and allowing the other vehicle to pass safely.
You can find more information about this topic in the motorcycle rider’s handbook.
Check out more motorcycle permit test questions and answers here.
Find in-depth articles for new riders in our section dedicated to learning how to ride a motorcycle.
Plus, check out an overview of the requirements to get a motorcycle endorsement in each state.