- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Use this motorcycle practice test question to prepare for the real written exam at the DMV or during your motorcycle safety course.
Which of the following statements is true about being passed?
- The center portion of the lane is typically the safest position when being passed.
- Some vehicles have extended mirrors or fenders that may cause a hazard.
- Blasts of wind from larger vehicles can knock you off balance.
- All of these are true.
Find the answer to this question and an explanation below.
This topic may show up on your motorcycle permit test.
The answer is: D. All of these are true.
How’d you do? Learn more about this motorcycle topic below.
Explanation: Being Passed on a Motorcycle
In order to pass your motorcycle permit exams and to become a safe rider, it’s important to know why a particular answer on the motorcycle written test is correct.
When you are being passed by another vehicle, there are a number of potential hazards you’ll need to stay alert for.
First, you’ll want to choose the safest lane position while the other vehicle is passing you.
In most cases, the center lane position will be your best bet.
If you ride in the left portion of the lane, you risk being sideswiped by the passing vehicle.
If you ride in the right portion of the lane, the other vehicle may return to your lane too early and create a hazard for you.
Additional hazards that you’ll need to account for when being passed include:
- Extended mirrors, fenders, or other objects hanging from the vehicle.
- Wind gusts from larger vehicles that could knock you off guard.
- Objects that are thrown or fly off the passing vehicle.
Stay alert when being passed, and give yourself plenty of room to react to any hazards that arise.
Be aware when you are riding in the passing vehicle’s blind spot and use caution and make adjustments if it looks like they will return back in front of you too soon.
You can find more information about this topic in the motorcycle rider’s handbook.
Check out more motorcycle permit test questions and answers here.
Find in-depth articles for new riders in our section dedicated to learning how to ride a motorcycle.
Plus, check out an overview of the requirements to get a motorcycle endorsement in each state.