Home » How to Apply for a Motorcycle License » Idaho Motorcycle Endorsement (Step-by-Step Requirements)

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

Idaho Motorcycle Endorsement (Step-by-Step Requirements)


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

To ride a motorcycle in Idaho, you’ll need a valid driver’s license and a valid motorcycle endorsement.

This page will provide you with an overview of how to get one.

Does Idaho require a motorcycle endorsement?

Yes, if you want to legally ride a motorcycle in Idaho, you’ll need to hold a valid motorcycle permit or motorcycle endorsement.

If you’re interested in riding a trike, you also have the option of testing and training for a 3-wheel motorcycle license.

Idaho Motorcycle Endorsement Requirements

To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Idaho, you’ll need to already have a valid Idaho driver’s license and:

  • Visit the Idaho DMV office.
  • Complete an application.
  • Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • Pay the required application and testing fees.
  • Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam. 

Once you complete the steps above, you’ll receive a motorcycle learner’s permit. With your permit, you can practice your riding skills and/or take a motorcycle safety training program.

If you are under 21 years old, you are required to take the motorcycle training course.

Idaho Motorcycle Learner’s Permit

An Idaho motorcycle instruction permit is valid for up to 180 days, and can be renewed once.

With a motorcycle permit:

  • You cannot ride at night.
  • You cannot ride on the freeway.
  • You cannot carry passengers.

After you’ve received your permit, your next steps are to:

  • Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
  • Pay any required fees.

Please visit https://itd.idaho.gov/itddmv/ for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

If you complete the skills test while your instruction permit is still valid, the fee for the M endorsement will be waived.

Idaho Motorcycle Rider Training Course

The Idaho STAR course (Skills Training Advantage for Riders) is designed to teach new riders the skills and knowledge to stay safe on a motorcycle.

Riders under 21 years are required to take the course before getting a motorcycle endorsement.

Riders over 21 years old have to option to complete a course to waive the DMV skills test for the motorcycle endorsement.

Learn more about motorcycle rider training in Idaho.

Idaho Motorcycle Endorsement Fees

The fees for Idaho motorcycle endorsements include:

  • Motorcycle knowledge test fee: $5.
  • Motorcycle skills test fee: $25.
  • Motorcycle permit: $15.
  • Motorcycle endorsement: $15.

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Idaho

If you’ve recently moved to Idaho, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local DMV office.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Idaho motorcycle written exam.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Idaho.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *