⚠️ ATTENTION: Getting your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
Motorcycle License Requirements in Indiana
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Indiana, you’ll need to already have a standard driver’s license and:
- Visit the Indiana BMV office.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test
- Complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
The minimum age to apply is 16 years and 90 days old.
However, you can enroll in a Rider Course if you are at least 15 years old with a valid learner’s permit or ID card and your parent’s permission.
If you do not complete a motorcycle training course, you’ll need to first apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit and pass the road skills test.
Please visit https://www.in.gov/bmv/ for official application information and to schedule appointments.
How to Get an Indiana Motorcycle Endorsement
You have 2 options to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Indiana driver’s license.
The first option is to complete an approved Ride Safe Indiana Motorcycle Safety Course. You must be at least 16 years and 90 days old.
You are not required to hold a motorcycle permit to enroll in the course.
The second option is to:
- Be at least 16 years and 270 days old.
- Obtain a motorcycle permit.
- Pass the skills exam at a Ride Safe training location.
Option 2 will require you to bring your own motorcycle for the test.
If you choose to take the Motorcycle Safety Course, you’ll need to enroll through Ride Safe Indiana.
The course involves 5 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of skills training.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive your course graduation documents.
Indiana Motorcycle Endorsement Restrictions
Depending on the knowledge and skills tests you complete, you may have the following restrictions placed on your motorcycle license:
- 3-wheeled motorcycle only.
- MDC – Class A.
Indiana Motorcycle Permit
Once you submit your application and pass the motorcycle knowledge test, you’ll receive your motorcycle learner’s permit.
A motorcycle permit is valid for up to 1 year, and it can be renewed once.
If you let your permit expire, you’ll need to apply for a new one and start the process over.
With your learner’s permit:
- You must wear a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet.
- You can only ride during daylight hours.
- You cannot have any passengers.
How Much Does a Motorcycle Endorsement Cost in Indiana?
The fee to add a motorcycle endorsement to your driver’s license is $19.
The fee for a motorcycle permit is $9.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Indiana
If you’ve recently moved to Indiana, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local BMV office.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Indiana motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course. You may need to provide proof that you’ve completed a motorcycle safety program.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Indiana.