Age Requirements for an Iowa motorcycle license/endorsement are as follows:
- Motorcycle permit: At least 14 years old.
- Motorcycle license/endorsement: At least 16 years old.
Requirements for a Motorcycle License in Iowa
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Iowa, you’ll need to:
- Visit the Iowa DOT office.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
- Pass a motorcycle skills test or complete an approved motorcycle rider safety course.
Iowa Motorcycle Instruction Permit
The above steps will get you your motorcycle instruction permit.
You can use this permit to practice riding and enroll in a motorcycle safety course.
If you are under 18, you are required to complete a course.
If you are over 18, completing the course will waive your skills testing requirements.
Motorcycle permits are valid for up to 4 years and cannot be renewed.
Your permit will allow you to ride while accompanied by an adult who holds a valid motorcycle endorsement who can see and communicate with you at all times.
Get a Motorcycle License in Iowa
To get your standard motorcycle license/motorcycle endorsement:
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
Please visit https://iowadot.gov/mvd for official application information and to schedule appointments.
If you have an existing driver’s license, the motorcycle license will be added as an endorsement.
If you do not have a driver’s license, you have the option to apply for a Class M – motorcycle only license.
A Motorcycle Only license will require you to pass both the motorcycle knowledge test and the standard operator knowledge test.
How Much Does a Motorcycle License Cost in Iowa?
The fees for an Iowa motorcycle license are as follows:
- Motorcycle learner’s permit: $2 per year up to 4 years when adding to an existing license/
- Motorcycle permit only: $14.
- Motorcycle endorsement: $2 per year.
- Class M (motorcycle only): $6 per year.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Iowa
If you’ve recently moved to Iowa, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local DOT office.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Iowa motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Iowa.