SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
Age Requirements for an Iowa motorcycle license/endorsement are as follows:
- Motorcycle permit: At least 14 years old.
- Motorcycle license/endorsement: At least 16 years old.
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Iowa, you’ll need to:
- Visit the Iowa DOT office.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
The above steps will get you your motorcycle instruction permit.
You can use this permit to practice riding and enroll in a motorcycle safety course. If you are under 18, you are required to complete a course. If you are over 18, completing the course will waive your skills testing requirements.
Motorcycle permits are valid for 4 years and cannot be renewed. Your permit will allow you to ride while accompanied by an adult who holds a valid motorcycle endorsement who can see and communicate with you at all times.
To get your standard motorcycle license/motorcycle endorsement:
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
Please visit https://iowadot.gov/mvd for official application information and to schedule appointments.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Iowa
If you’ve recently moved to Iowa, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local DOT office.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Iowa motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Iowa.