How to Get a Louisiana Motorcycle License
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Louisiana, you’ll need to:
- Visit the Louisiana OMV office and have your standard driver’s license.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
Please visit https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/default.aspx for official application information and to schedule appointments.
Louisiana Motorcycle License Skills Test Vs. Basic Rider Course
To get your LA motorcycle endorsement, you’ll have the option of either:
- Taking and passing the riding skills test with the OMV.
- Completing an approved motorcycle training course.
The course lasts about 15 hours and consists of 5 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of riding instruction.
After completing the course, you’ll receive a completion certificate that you can submit to the OMV to waive the skills test.
How much does a Louisiana motorcycle license cost?
There is a $12 fee to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Louisiana driver’s license.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Louisiana
If you’ve recently moved to Louisiana, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local OMV office within 30 days of establishing residency.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Louisiana motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Louisiana.