⚠️ ATTENTION: Getting your motorcycle license? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
If you want to ride a motorcycle in Louisiana, you’re going to need to get a motorcycle license.
This page will provide you with an overview of the requirements to get your riding as soon as possible.
How to Get a Louisiana Motorcycle License
You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a motorcycle license in Louisiana.
You’ll need to already hold a driver’s license before you can apply.
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Louisiana, you’ll need to:
- Visit the Louisiana OMV office and have your standard driver’s license.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
Please visit https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/default.aspx for official application information and to schedule appointments.
When you take the Basic Rider Course approved by the LA DPS, you may be eligible to waive both the written test and skills test.
Louisiana Motorcycle License Skills Test Vs. Basic Rider Course
To get your LA motorcycle endorsement, you’ll have the option of either:
- Taking and passing the riding skills test with the OMV.
- Completing an approved motorcycle training course.
The course lasts about 15 hours and consists of 5 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of riding instruction.
After completing the course, you’ll receive a completion certificate that you can submit to the OMV to waive the skills test.
Visit the OMV and Get Your Class M Endorsement
After you’ve completed the Basic Rider Course or have passed the skills test, you’ll be eligible for your full motorcycle license.
Make an appointment and visit your local OMV office with the following:
- Proof of your identity.
- Proof of your Louisiana residency.
- Proof of your motorcycle insurance coverage.
- Completion Certificate for your rider training course.
- Payment to add the endorsement to your license.
How much does a Louisiana motorcycle license cost?
There is a $12 fee to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Louisiana driver’s license.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Louisiana
If you’ve recently moved to Louisiana, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local OMV office within 30 days of establishing residency.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Louisiana motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Louisiana.