How to Get a Michigan Motorcycle License


Compare FREE Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

Rates starting at $7/month!

To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Michigan, you’ll need to:

You must successfully complete an approved motorcycle safety course if you:

  • Are under 18 years old.
  • Are over 18 years old and have failed the motorcycle skills test more than twice.

Please visit for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Michigan

If you’ve recently moved to Michigan, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local SOS office.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Michigan motorcycle written exam.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Michigan.


Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!

✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *