How to Apply for a Minnesota Motorcycle License


To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Minnesota, you’ll need to:

You must be at least 16 years old. If you are younger than 18 years old, you’ll be required to complete a motorcycle safety course.

Please visit for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Minnesota

If you’ve recently moved to Minnesota, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local DPS office within 60 days of establishing residency.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Minnesota motorcycle written exam.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Minnesota.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top