- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Minnesota, you’ll need to:
- Visit the Minnesota DPS office.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam.
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
You must be at least 16 years old. If you are younger than 18 years old, you’ll be required to complete a motorcycle safety course.
Please visit https://dps.mn.gov/Pages/default.aspx for official application information and to schedule appointments.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Minnesota
If you’ve recently moved to Minnesota, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local DPS office within 60 days of establishing residency.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the Minnesota motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Minnesota.