Home » How to Apply for a Motorcycle License » How to Get a Montana Motorcycle License

Liked it? Share it!

How to Get a Montana Motorcycle License

To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Montana, you’ll need to:

  • Visit the Montana MVD office.
  • Complete an application.
  • Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
  • Pass a vision exam.
  • Pay the required application and testing fees.
  • Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam. 
  • Pass the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.

Please visit https://dojmt.gov/driving/ for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Montana

If you’ve recently moved to Montana, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local MVD office within 60 days of becoming a Montana resident.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Montana motorcycle written exam.

You must be at least 16 years old or at least 15 years old if you complete a Driver’s Ed course.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Montana.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *