Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in New Mexico, you’ll need to:
- Visit the New Mexico MVD office.
- Complete an application.
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and legal presence.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pay the required application and testing fees.
- Pass the motorcycle written knowledge exam and the motorcycle road skills test OR complete an approved motorcycle safety training course.
Riders under 18 years old are required to complete a safety course.
Please visit http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/ for official application information and to schedule appointments.
Types of New Mexico Motorcycle Endorsements
New Mexico classifies an motorcycle license into the following endorsement categories:
- W Endorsement: Allows you to ride any type of motorcycle. Must be at least 15 years old to qualify.
- Y Endorsement: Allows you to ride motorcycles with an engine displacement between 50 and 100cc. Must be at least 13 years old to qualify.
- Z Endorsement: Allows you to operate motorcycles with a displacement of less than 50cc. Must be at least 13 years old to qualify.
Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to New Mexico
If you’ve recently moved to New Mexico, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:
- Visit your local MVD office.
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence.
- Pay the required application fees.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Pass the New Mexico motorcycle written exam.
If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.
Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in New Mexico.