Home » How to Apply for a Motorcycle License » How to Get a Motorcycle License in PA

Liked it? Share it!

How to Get a Motorcycle License in PA

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

In order to legally rider a motorcycle in Pennsylvania, you’ll need a Class M license or permit.

We’ll cover the requirements and steps to get you riding as soon as possible.

PA Motorcycle License Overview

To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Pennsylvania, you’ll need to:

You must be at least 16 years old to apply. If you are under 18 years old, a motorcycle training course is a requirement.

Please visit https://www.penndot.gov/Pages/default.aspx for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

1. Pennsylvania Motorcycle Permit

The first step towards your full PA motorcycle license is apply for the permit.

To do so, you’ll need to:

  • Visit you local PennDOT office.
  • Submit an Application for a Motorcycle Learner’s Permit (DL-5).
  • Pass the motorcycle written exam.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay the $10 permit fee.

PA motorcycle permits are valid for 1 year.

Applications can only renew up to 3 times within 5 years.

Motorcycle Permit Restrictions

With a motorcycle permit, the following restrictions will apply:

  • Daytime riding only.
  • Riding under the supervision of a Class M holder, expect those who already hold a valid license.
  • No passengers.

Under 18 Requirements

If you are under 18 years old, you must hold your motorcycle permit for at least 6 months.

You’ll also need to complete a total of 65 hours of supervised riding practice.

This includes 15 hours of supervised riding during your basic rider course.

Learn more about the Basic Rider Course in Pennsylvania.

2. Motorcycle Skills Test OR Basic Rider Course

After getting the permit and satisfying the requirements (if under 18), you’re ready to take the next step.

If you are 18 years old or older, you’ll have the option of scheduling your skills test at a PA driver’s license center OR completing an approved Basic Rider Course.

If you decide to test through PennDOT, you’ll need to make sure to find a Driver License Center that offers motorcycle testing.

3. Full PA Motorcycle License

After passing the skills test or completing your Basic Rider Course, you’ll be able to pay for your Class M license and ride your motorcycle unrestricted.

If you’ve completed rider training, be sure to check with your motorcycle insurance provider for a discount on your policy.

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Pennsylvania

If you’ve recently moved to Pennsylvania, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local DOT office within 60 days of relocating to Pennsylvania.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Pennsylvania motorcycle written exam.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Pennsylvania.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *