Home » How to Apply for a Motorcycle License » How to Get a Utah Motorcycle License

Liked it? Share it!

How to Get a Utah Motorcycle License

Less than 10% of people actually do this. The ones that do save big. What are you waiting for?


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

Utah Motorcycle License Requirements

You’ll need to hold a standard driver’s license before you can get your motorcycle endorsement.

If your license expires within 6 months, make an appointment for a renewal. Otherwise, you can schedule a duplicate appointment.

To apply for a motorcycle license or endorsement in Utah, you’ll need to:

You’ll need to be at least 16 years old and hold a standard driver’s license to be eligible for a motorcycle endorsement in Utah.

Please visit https://publicsafety.utah.gov/ for official application information and to schedule appointments. 

How Much Does a Utah Motorcycle License Cost?

The fee to apply for a Utah motorcycle endorsement is $18.

Motorcycle Testing in Utah

The testing requirements for your UT motorcycle endorsement include:

  • A 25-question written knowledge test.
  • A riding skills test.

The riding skills test can be satisfied by:

  • Making an appointment and completing the test on your own motorcycle at a DLD location.
  • Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course.

The Basic Rider Course consists of a total of 15 hours (10 on the bike, 5 in the classroom).

This course will provide the motorcycles for you, and you’ll typically get to choose between a 150cc or 250cc bike.

Note, the size of the motorcycle you test on will dictate the size of motorcycle you are permitted to ride once you pass.

If you’d like to ride a larger motorcycle, you can schedule an additional test through the DLD.

If you have at least 2,000 miles of riding experience with a motorcycle permit, you can also choose to complete the Experienced Rider Course.

The Experienced Rider Course will allow you to take the test on your own motorcycle so that you can test into the engine size you want.

After you’ve completed either course, you’ll receive a completion card which you’ll need to present to the DLD within 6 months to receive your motorcycle endorsement.

Some locations around the state where you can take a rider course include:

  • Dixie State University.
  • Salt Lake Community College.
  • Salt Lake Harley-Davidson.
  • Timpanogos Harley-Davidson.
  • Utah Rider Education locations in South Jordan, Ogden, Park City, and St. George.
  • Zion Harley-Davidson.

UT Motorcycle Endorsement Restrictions

Utah places restrictions on the size of motorcycle you are allowed to ride based on what type of motorcycle you complete your skills test on.

If you take the riding skills test on a motorcycle with an engine of <90cc, you can only ride motorcycles that are 90cc or less.

If you take the riding skills test on a motorcycle with an engine of <249cc, you can only ride motorcycles that are 249cc or less.

If you take the riding skills test on a motorcycle with an engine of <649cc, you can only ride motorcycles that are 649cc or less.

If you complete you test on a motorcycle with an engine size of at least 650cc, you can ride any size motorcycle or scooter.

Utah Motorcycle Permit

After you submit your application, pay the required fees, and pass the written test, you’ll receive your Utah motorcycle learner’s permit.

The following restrictions apply for the first 2 months with the permit:

  • No passengers.
  • No riding between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • No riding on highways with a speed limit of over 60 mph.

After the end of the second month, these riding restrictions are lifted.

Transfer an Out-of-State Motorcycle License When Moving to Utah

If you’ve recently moved to Utah, you can transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license or endorsement. To do so:

  • Visit your local DPS office.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Complete the application and provide proof of your identity, residency, and legal presence. 
  • Pay the required application fees.
  • Pass an eye exam.
  • Pass the Utah motorcycle written exam.

If your out-of-state motorcycle license/endorsement is valid you typically will not need to pass a road test or complete another motorcycle safety course.

Once you’ve received your motorcycle license, be sure to come back to MotorcycleZombies.com to learn how to title and register a motorcycle in Utah.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *