- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
Your motorcycle title is the primary document that demonstrates your ownership of the vehicle.
The title is needed to sell your motorcycle to someone else, transfer the motorcycle to a new state, or apply for a motorcycle title loan.
If you’ve lost the title or it has become damaged, you’ll want to request a duplicate as soon as possible.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps involved with getting a duplicate motorcycle title in Michigan.
How to Replace a Lost Motorcycle Title in Michigan
Your options for requesting a duplicate motorcycle title include:
- In person at your local SOS branch.
- By mail, if you are temporarily out of state.
To replace a lost motorcycle title in Michigan, you’ll need to:
- Go online or complete an application.
- Provide the necessary details for your motorcycle, registration, and title.
- Provide proof of your identity and your personal details.
- Pay the duplicate title fee.
If you are selling your motorcycle, you may be able to sell it without requesting a replacement title. To do this:
- The buyer and the seller must go to the SOS together.
- You’ll need to provide proof of the VIN.
- There must be no lienholders on the bike.
- The current title record must be in the SOS database.
Can I get a duplicate title online?
In Michigan, you can replace your title online. Please visit the following link to start: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1640_14837-380898–,00.html
Lost Motorcycle Title Cost in Michigan
The fee for a duplicate title is $15. Same-day processing can be requested for an additional $5.
What should you do if you lost your Michigan motorcycle title?
If your Michigan motorcycle title is lost, you should request a replacement as quickly as possible.
When you sell the bike or move to another state, you’ll need the title in order to transfer ownership. Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Michigan.
Remember to keep your title, or pink slip, in a safe place away from the motorcycle.
For more information about getting a replacement motorcycle title in Michigan, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.michigan.gov/sos
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Michigan.