- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Illinois, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Illinois motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Illinois motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Illinois for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Illinois Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Illinois is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Illinois DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Illinois:
- Visit your local SOS office or submit your application by mail.
- Complete an application for vehicle transaction (VSD 190): https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/vehicles/title_and_registration/pert.html
- Complete a tax form, if applicable.
- Provide your proof of ownership documents.
- Pay your motorcycle registration fees.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Illinois
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Illinois motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Illinois motorcycle registration include:
- In person.
- By mail.
- Over the phone.
- Online: https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/vehicles/onlinerenewals/home.html
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your Renewal ID and PIN from your renewal notice.
- Your current registration card.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Illinois Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in Illinois?
The fees for Illinois motorcycle registration are as follows:
- Motorcycle plate renewal: $41.
For more information about Illinois motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.ilsos.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Illinois.