In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Indiana, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Indiana motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Indiana motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Indiana for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Indiana Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Indiana is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Indiana BMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Indiana:
- Process the new registration online, at a self-serve kiosk, or in person at your local BMV office.
- Submit the title.
- Submit the bill of sale, if necessary.
- Complete a VIN verification, if applicable.
- Provide proof of your identity and address.
- Provide proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Pay the registration fees.
If you’ve just bought a motorcycle, you’ll have 45 days to register it.
If you’ve recently moved to Indiana, you must transfer your out-of-state plates with 60 days.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Indiana
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Indiana motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Indiana motorcycle registration include:
- Online: https://mybmv.bmv.in.gov/bmv/mybmv/default.aspx
- Over the phone.
- By mail.
- At a self-serve kiosk.
- At your local BMV office.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your driver’s license number.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your current address and personal information.
- Your motorcycle details and registration information.
- Your renewal notice, if applicable.
- Payment for the registration renewal fees.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Indiana Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in Indiana?
The fees for Indiana motorcycle registration are as follows:
- Motorcycle registration: $26.35.
For more information about Indiana motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official BMV website at: https://www.in.gov/bmv/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Indiana.