In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Kentucky, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Kentucky motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Kentucky motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Kentucky for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Kentucky Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Kentucky is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Kentucky DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Kentucky:
- Visit your local county clerk’s office.
- Complete an application for title and registration: https://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-182.pdf
- Submit your ownership documents (e.g. Kentucky motorcycle title).
- Provide proof of your identity and address.
- Provide proof of your motorcycle insurance policy.
- Complete an inspection, if applicable.
- Pay your registration fees.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Kentucky
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Kentucky motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Kentucky motorcycle registration include:
- Online: https://secure.kentucky.gov/kytc/renewal
- In person
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal in person include:
- Proof of your ID.
- Your current registration certificate.
- Proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
To renew online, you’ll need:
- The title number.
- Your license plate number.
- A debit or credit card to pay your renewal fees.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Kentucky Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
For more information about Kentucky motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://drive.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Kentucky.