- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in Maine, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your Maine motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid Maine motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in Maine for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
Maine Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in Maine is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the Maine DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in Maine:
- Visit your local BMV office.
- Pay any required excise tax to your city office.
- Submit a signed bill of sale, if applicable.
- Submit the title (motorcycle 300cc+ and model year 1995 or newer).
- Provide proof of motorcycle insurance.
- Submit a completed registration application.
- Pay the registration fees and sales tax.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in Maine
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your Maine motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your Maine motorcycle registration include:
- Online: https://www1.maine.gov/online/bmv/rapid-renewal/
- In person at your local office.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Paying your excise tax.
- Provide proof of insurance.
- Your motorcycle details.
- Your personal information and address.
- Payment for your motorcycle tag renewal.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
Maine Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in Maine?
The fees for Maine motorcycle registration are as follows:
- Standard motorcycle registration fee: $21
- Antique motorcycle: $15
For more information about Maine motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in Maine.