⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in New York, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your New York motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid New York motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in New York for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
New York Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in New York is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the New York DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in New York:
- Get a motorcycle insurance policy.
- Check with your county whether you can register online, by mail, or in person.
- Provide your ownership documents.
- Have a valid NY driver’s license.
- Submit any proof of purchase documents, if applicable.
- Complete the Statement of Transaction form, if applicable: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf802.pdf
- Complete a registration application: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82.pdf?_ga=2.25772669.1389477612.1633715858-891147695.1633715858
- Pay the registration fees and taxes.
If you’ve just moved, you’ll need to register your motorcycle within 30 days.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in New York
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your New York motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
Your options for renewing your New York motorcycle registration include:
- By mail.
- In person at your local DMV office.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your license plate number.
- The class of registration for your motorcycle.
- Your name and address.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
- A current inspection, if required.
Motorcycle registrations that have been expired for over a year will need to be re-registered in person or by mail.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
New York Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in New York?
The fees for New York motorcycle registration vary by type of bike and the county you live in.
For more information about New York motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://dmv.ny.gov/
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in New York.