- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
In order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in North Carolina, you’ll need to make sure it is registered and that your registration is valid.
When you buy a motorcycle, you’ll first need to transfer the title and get an insurance policy. Next, you’ll need to get it registered and get your North Carolina motorcycle license plates and stickers.
Note, you should also be sure to have a valid North Carolina motorcycle license when you register your motorcycle too.
This page will provide you with an overview of the steps to register a motorcycle in North Carolina for the first time, and then we’ll go over your options for renewing your motorcycle registration before it expires.
Remember, your registration documents and proof of insurance should be kept on your bike when you ride.
North Carolina Motorcycle Registration Steps
Registering a motorcycle in North Carolina is basically the same process as registering any other vehicle.
If necessary, you’ll also need to complete any motorcycle inspections as required by the North Carolina DMV.
How to register a motorcycle in North Carolina:
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Provide the motorcycle title.
- Complete a title and registration application: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Documents/MVR-1.pdf
- Submit an Odometer Disclosure Statement and Damage Disclosure Statement, if applicable.
- Provide your NC driver’s license and proof of residency.
- Pay your title and registration fees and taxes.
Renew Motorcycle Registration in North Carolina
In order to avoid any traffic tickets or late fees, you’ll want to make sure that your North Carolina motorcycle registration and license plate stickers are valid.
The NC DMV will send you a renewal notice about 60 days before your motorcycle registration expires.
Your options for renewing your North Carolina motorcycle registration include:
- Online: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-services/online/Pages/my-ncdmv-registration-renewal.aspx
- In person.
- By mail by sending in your renewal notice and payment.
The information and items you’ll need in order to complete your motorcycle registration renewal include:
- Your license plate number.
- Your title number.
- Payment for your renewal fees.
Depending on the type of bike you have, you may also need to complete the necessary motorcycle inspections when you renew your motorcycle registration.
North Carolina Motorcycle Insurance
In addition to renewing your motorcycle registration, you’ll also want to make sure that your motorcycle insurance policy is up to date.
Your annual registration renewal is a great time to compare motorcycle insurance quotes and check for cheaper rates.
How much does it cost to register a motorcycle in North Carolina?
The fees for North Carolina motorcycle registration are as follows:
- Motorcycle registration: $25.50.
For more information about North Carolina motorcycle registration and registration renewals, check out the official DMV website at: https://www.ncdot.gov/DMV/Pages/default.aspx
Need more information? Check out our overview of the requirements for motorcycle titles and registrations in North Carolina.